Consumer Digest: April
Welcome to the April edition of the Consumer Digest, where we aim to provide relevant, informative and actionable insights around consumer trends and what consumers value. This month, we look at ways shoppers are coping with inflation and prices at the pump, what consumers plan to do this spring and what they are planning to purchase for Mother’s Day.
Rising Prices And Inflation – How It’s Impacting Consumers
Consumers continue to cope with high prices:
- 88% of consumers feel concerned with inflation and consumer prices.
- Consumers are seeing prices rise in categories such as: Dairy (milk, cheese, etc.) (82%), Deli/Meat/Fish counter (76%), and paper products (toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, etc.) (73%).
- Many say they are cutting back in categories like snacks/candy (61%), Drinks (soft drinks, juices, etc.) (49%), Fresh Bakery (46%), and Beauty (hair products, makeup, etc.) (43%).
- To cope with high prices, 59% of households are looking for sales/deals/coupons, while 51% are switching to a lower cost brand.
How Consumers Are Dealing With Prices At The Pump
- With the current state of gas prices, 59% of consumers are reducing driving/traveling and 50% mention they are utilizing fuel points or gas discounts. 18% have not made a change due to rising gas prices.
- 91% of consumers are concerned that gasoline/fuel will continue to rise due to inflation.
- Nearly 65% of consumers feel that the international conflict between Russia and Ukraine is having a “very” to “extreme impact” on their purchasing of gas.
Spring Has Sprung!
Cooking & Grocery Shopping Enjoyment Are On The Rise
- Consumers are enjoying cooking more than they did last month – 26% are enjoying cooking more this month vs. 21% in March, and only 19% in February.
- Grocery shopping enjoyment is also on the rise this month – 18% of consumers are enjoying it more than last month vs. only 11% from January, and only 10% six months ago.
Celebrating Mother’s Day – May 8th
Of those who are planning to purchase card(s) this Mother’s Day:
- 31% are planning to purchase at a mass retailer (e.g., Target, Walmart, etc.)
- 22% are planning to purchase at a grocery
Of those who are planning on purchasing flowers this Mother’s Day:
- 30% are planning to purchase at a grocery
- 13% are planning to purchase at a mass retailer (e.g., Target, Walmart, etc.)
SOURCE: 1.) 84.51° Real Time Insights, April 2022