Holidays 2021: Who's on your list? Why the hybrid shopper is here to stay
Digital dabbler or digital champ: What drives today’s hybrid grocery shoppers?
Even before spring 2020’s shutdowns made it a practical necessity, grocery e-commerce was on the rise. In fact, 84.51° research reveals the number of households shopping for groceries online more than doubled between late 2019 and early 2020. So it should come as no surprise that while in-store trips have steadily increased since April 2021 as customers grow more comfortable returning to physical stores, the convenience factor will keep e-commerce solidly in the mix.
With hybrid shoppers here to stay, it’s critical for brands and retailers to understand how and why they make the choices they do.
A tale of two shoppers
Delving into the profile of digital shoppers, 84.51° identified a number of commonalities: They trend Gen X and younger, have higher incomes and have children. They are high-convenience shoppers and medium to high natural and organic shoppers. Beyond these common traits, however, two distinct household types emerge—each with its own motivations. Take a look:
The digital champ
- Overindex as 3-member households that emphasize high health and high quality
- May see e-commerce as part of their healthy lifestyle
- Made 14+ shopping trips during 2020 holiday; half of those were e-commerce
- Half were digital shoppers during 2019 holiday
- Shopped 62 times throughout the year; more than one third of trips were e-commerce
- 72% of their grocery holiday spend is e-commerce
- Spent 3x more on holiday pickup or delivery than digital dabblers and 2.2x more than all households
- Account for 25% of digital households but 61% of spend
The digital dabbler
- Very price sensitive
- More likely than digital champs to have a household with 5 or more members
- May be looking more for good deals for their larger households
- 2–4 online shopping trips with pickup or delivery and 3+ trips in-store during 2020 holidays
- Did not shop online during 2019 holiday
- Made 16 shopping trips during 2020 holiday; 1/5 were e-commerce
- 25% of grocery holiday spend is e-commerce
- Made 3.5 digital shopping trips during non-holiday 2020
- Account for 14% of digital households but 10% of spend
Learn more about today’s hybrid shoppers and their impact on the 2021 holiday outlook in our report: Holidays 2021: Who’s on your list? Why the hybrid shopper is here to stay.